The Scottish Society of the History of Medicine aims to promote, encourage and support the study of the history of medicine, with a particular interest in Scottish Medicine. It was founded in 1948 and the medical historian Dr Douglas Guthrie was its first President. The Society is registered as a charity in Scotland (SC008621) and is affiliated to the British Society for the History of Medicine. All members of the Scottish Society automatically become members of the British Society and are able to take part in its activities. Read more
HALDANE TAIT LECTURE CANCELLED
The SSHM regrets that, due to factors beyond our control, it has proven necessary to cancel the Haldane Tait lecture due to have been delivered on Tuesday 22nd May at Edinburgh Napier University.
We apologise to everyone who was planning to attend this lecture, which will be rescheduled at a future date.
Join the Society
- Promote, encourage and support the study of the history of medicine
- The Society is registered as a charity in Scotland (SC008621)
- Affiliated to the British Society for the History of Medicine
- Three meetings are held each year
- An annual lecture and dinner in honour of Dr Haldane Tait
- Only £15 per annum
- RCPE History of medicine awardThe purpose of this award is to support and develop the study of the history of […]
- HAS Summer Scientific Meeting 201829-30 June – Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 8 CPD Credits […]
- 100 years on from the death of Dr Elsie InglisAfter being told by the War Office ‘my good lady go home and sit still’ as […]
- Review of recently published booksMembers may be interested in reviews of recently published books with a history […]