The Scottish Society of the History of Medicine aims to promote, encourage and support the study of the history of medicine, with a particular interest in Scottish Medicine. It was founded in 1948 and the medical historian Dr Douglas Guthrie was its first President. The Society is registered as a charity in Scotland (SC008621) and is affiliated to the British Society for the History of Medicine. All members of the Scottish Society automatically become members of the British Society and are able to take part in its activities. Read more
Haldane Tait Lectures
We are pleased to invite you to a double dose of Haldane Tait Lectures, incorporating both the 2020 event- which was postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic- as well as the 2021 event.
These will be delivered on two consecutive Wednesdays on 12th May and 19th May 2021.
Both Lectures will be delivered online using the Zoom platform.
There is no registration fee.
Wednesday 12th May 2021 Professor Anthony Pelosi "Personality and fatal diseases: exposing a scientific scandal"
Wednesday, 19th May 2021 Dr Christopher Gardner-Thorpe "Thoughts into Words- An Exploration"
Free registration click here
Please join us by logging onto Zoom from 6:20pm.
Introductions at 6:30pm - Haldane Tait Lecture at 6:35pm
The British Society for the History of Medicine Biennial Congress
Wednesday 15th – Saturday 18th September 2021
The University of Sheffield
Key themes will be the History of Medicine in the Workplace, Pandemics, Nursing and Innovation in Medical Engineering.
Abstract submissions on these themes and General Topics will be welcome.
Further details at BSHM website
Join the Society
- Promote, encourage and support the study of the history of medicine
- The Society is registered as a charity in Scotland (SC008621)
- Affiliated to the British Society for the History of Medicine
- Three meetings are held each year
- An annual lecture and dinner in honour of Dr Haldane Tait
- Only £15 per annum
- Historical Perspectives in Clinical NeurologyThe History of Medicine Society of the RSM is hosting a webinar entitled […]
- Memoir of a medical careerIn this autobiographical memoir, Dr Clyne Shepherd, a longstanding member of […]
- RCPE History of medicine awardThe purpose of this award is to support and develop the study of the history of […]
- 100 years on from the death of Dr Elsie InglisAfter being told by the War Office ‘my good lady go home and sit still’ as […]